Friday 14 January 2011

What does the store have in song?

We took down the Christmas decorations as is customary on Twelfth Night.  I expect I should have archived my last post then.  Ah well.

Our local emporium at the foot of the hill has moved faster, cashing in on the realism and the optimism of cash-strapped Essex folk - all Christmas decorations now 50p and big red Valentine cards now on sale - 99p no extra tax added.

The background music has changed too.  As I wander around searching for bargains, I have an attentive ear,  This is not aural wallpaper, but a fascinating soundtrack on local life.    Christmas was upbeat and retro and sometimes brought me close to tears - The Little Drummer Boy is one of my earliest radio memories.  We had stridency with Santa Claus is Coming to Town, cynicism with Lennon and a gospel flavouring with Mary's Boy Child.

Now, maybe it is the January blues, but the store is playing sad songs.  I don't recognise them probably because I'm too old, but I hear the voices of commitment, disillusionment and regret.

You may not need to buy three tins of chopped tomatoes for 99p, you may not enjoy canned music; but next time you go into the store listen for the lyrics and observe the shoppers, the mothers and the nannas, and the check-out girls.  You might smile, or weep, or pray.

What does the song have in store?

No comments:

Post a Comment