Tuesday 4 September 2012

At the edges

This month is a new start for me, as I formally started gardening in partnership with my husband.  It's my pleasure to do this.  Yesterday was an example ...

We visit a small block of flats with lawned gardens that can only afford both of us at certain intervals.  I had been longing to tackle the edges.  Here is what I discovered.

The council had weedkilled all along the border with the pavement and some had spilled over into the grass.  It's a pity when what was meant to kill weeds also kills lawn. 

The ornamental pavers that looked so solid had not been set in.  So I tidied around them as best I could.  It's a pity when there isn't time to lay the proper foundations.

I then took the half-moon, a tool beloved by my late father, and edged up all along the front.  I took out sections of straying clover, long grass, and sometimes wild violets (inevitable).  I found anthills where the winged ants were still in the nest.  I cut so that when my husband takes the mower his job will look clean and professional. 

Now all can see that this is lawn and this is edge, where I tidy the dust and the soil I have shaken from the trimmings before dropping them in the brown bin.  This is our livelihood and this is our neighbourhood.  We are putting back the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment