Saturday 2 March 2013

Roosters

March birdsong is growing in volume and variety on the allotment.  As I finished cutting back and manuring the autumn raspberries I had a melodious accompaniment from robins, blackbirds and bluetits.  And two roosters.

The rival roosters domiciled somewhere to the south of our plot were sounding each other out.  It was a classic cock-a-doodle-doo contest.  I surmise this, though I have no idea where they are cooped up.  I couldn't identify their perch.  One predator in particular however, would be delighted to know.  As I walked back from a quick site inspection of the daffodils a fox slunk through the fence to my right. 

The sound of our folk history is still rings in our ears.  As I end I issue another little challenge.  See how many crafty fox and roistering rooster tales you can recollect.  From Chaucer to Chicken-Licken.  Then locate the other one.  In that story the rooster crows three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment