Wednesday 24 July 2013

Thinning the apple trees

I am sticking to my resolution to blog more often and find that this helps me to reflect upon what I do.  Here's today's allotment activity.

This morning on the first occasion since planting it I thinned our Bramley cooking apple tree.  Most years I have resigned myself to its biennial bearing habit - loaded with apples one year, about half a dozen the next.  This year looked like a bumper year...

Apple trees do drop premature fruit in June, most years, depending on weather conditions.  This is not usually serious.  We had a good spring (for apples) and our Bramley still had between three and four apples on each twig.  Serious experts would have left one apple: I left two.

Over the course of time since dropping paid teaching, some things have fallen out of my life.  It's natural.  The challenge is to walk around the tree and deliberate upon what fruit needs to be thinned.  Next visit I will start on its companion the Grenadier.

No comments:

Post a Comment