Wednesday 2 July 2014

Something about Semolina

Today I picked our red dessert gooseberries.  I brought home about 700 grams of ripening fruit and needed some inspiration.  I consulted my 'charity shop' cook book selection and went for The Dairy Book of Family Cookery published over thirty years ago in 1983.  I was going to make Gooseberry Fool, but had no gelatine, so chose Honeyed Gooseberry Dessert (serves 4).  I had all the ingredients, including the semolina which I bought for the stock cupboard on the inspiration of Anjum Anand's Indian Every Day (2003) with the intention of making pilaff or perhaps halva following Madhur Jaffrey (1982).  I thought it would be interesting to experiment with semolina.

Semolina that is, that had taken on an exotic guise.   How different these recipes seemed from the bland milk-based puddings of my sixties school dinners - semolina, tapioca, sago - or one of my late mother's stand-bys at home before the era of widely available yoghurt - junket made with milk and a flavoured rennet tablet (consumed by mother but not by me).

Honeyed Gooseberry Dessert with its layers of gooseberries and semolina was  a success.  We ate half of it although we did not eat it chilled as suggested as I was running out of time.  I also reduced the sugar content - eighties recipes are not always suitable for diabetics. 

So here's to semolina whether by east or west.  Semolina rediscovered and relished.  




No comments:

Post a Comment