Monday 12 January 2015

Crowbar and Concrete Slabs

Our new raised beds, as described in my last post were easy to assemble, once I had rotated the instruction sheet in my hands to match the kit on the ground.  Some people are able to do this in their heads, I am not one of them.

We duly lifted the completed beds and landed them on the lawn close to the spot.  My husband started to dig down - and hit concrete.  Of course, after nearly ten years of allotmenteering we should have anticipated this.  Before the annexe to our house, which comprises the 'new garage', downstairs bathroom and kitchen, was built, it possessed an attractive brick-built garage with its own driveway.  We are not sure if the bricks and concrete we uncovered were the remains of this or some other structure.  But they had to come out.

Initially my husband only dug to the width of the beds we had assembled.  Then we took a fresh look at the ground.  There was space for another three raised beds in parallel with the first.  Which in turn meant digging up the remaining concrete and very probably taking it to be recycled in the hard core area of the tip. 

This morninng we rang the obliging people in Dumfries and ordered another three beds.  As I write, my husband is out with a crowbar levering the offending material out of the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment