Wednesday 11 March 2015

Changing views

I have managed to import a new picture for my blog.  This is our back garden in February 2015 as it waits for the spring.  All the tender stuff is in our potting shed.  (We have moved some plants around since this photo was taken.)  Here are the geraniums that belonged to the previous owner that we are overwintering.  Next to them is the jasmine that my sister rescued from a supermarket (I am not the only one in our family to do this).  Then comes the lettuce.  This seed came out of a partially used packet that I bought in a pound shops last year.  Given that it was old and cheap it has done better than I expected under shelter and I live in hopes of filling growbags in our new greenhouse (due a week today).  Next, we have the broad beans that were a housewarming present which, as I noted yesterday, are sprouting at last after nearly six weeks and finally the golden oregano. 

The new herbs in the low wall that I am trying outside are sage, golden thyme, thyme and mint.  Still to sow in warmer conditions than at present come flat leaved parsley, basil, more thyme and garlic chives.

If you were to stand with your back to the shed, facing up the garden, you would see an expanse of flags where once we had a lean-to porch.  The structure came down this week with the help of our builder D and his apprentice and has been repaved.  At the moment is is empty space, but in my imagination I see our patio area filled with tubs of flowering plants and miniature vegetables.  I can also visualize my husband's outdoor tomatoes along the sunny side of our yet-to-be delivered greenhouse. 

I will keep this summery view in my mind's eye, even as D, in the rain, adds the finishing touches to our refurbished patio.

No comments:

Post a Comment