Monday 6 April 2015

Shrubbery Extension Project

When the tree on our boundary was taken down it left light and space in our garden and large piles of woodchip in the park on the other side.  I  decided to rename this area our 'shrubbery extension project' and last week went out with a rake to distribute the woodchippings more evenly.  I wanted to deter the use of the area beyond our hedge as a 'doggy toilet', reckoning that if it looked tidy and smelled of leyland cypress that would be a good start.  I then 'pruned' the pollarded elderberries that had suffered slight damage during the felling, picked up a few old drinks cans and bits of plastic and finally went along our own leyland cypresses taking out protruding branches at eye level, and other untidy bits.  All the cuttings are now in a neat pile just beyond our boundary which I hope will encourage beneficial invetebrate life.

I really wanted to carry on litter-picking beyond our hedge, but this is not my job.  There is a residents' association for this park and the council sweep up as and when needed.  I hope that the ground cover returns, trampled celandines will spread, the elderberries and pollarded birches recover and the birds that are getting ready to nest in our hedge will find our 'shrubbery extension' a happy hunting ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment