Tuesday 16 June 2015

Protective Hedge

Many of our garden birds have only just begun their nests.  Our blackbirds 'Mr and Mrs Beaky' started in our clematis 'Broughton Star', took up moss from our lawn (we can still see the bare patches) and then abandoned the attempt.  I think they must now be in the high hedge.  This morning I noticed a wren, which also lives in its shade, gathering discarded feathers.  Our cheerful sparrows have done the same.  No takers for our birdbox though, which we moved from the wall outside our kitchen to the rear of the shed.  It is scrubbed, painted and fresh, waiting for takers next year.  Meanwhile I can hear the blue tits in the hedge and the birch trees.

A most intriguing visitor, however, is a field mouse.  Or is it a vole?  This shy creature has decided to make a nest in the crack between two of the pavers close to our greenhouse.  Towards the end of the afternoon we have seen it dragging leaves down there and then popping up again and scuttling into the shelter of the hedge.  I hope it is harmless and feeds on berries and nuts as the reference books suggest.

Amorous wood pigeons are billing and cooing on our fence. 

The only birds to which my charity does not extend are the magpies.  Whenever I hear the blackbirds' alarm call I stand on the back step and clap my hands to scatter them.

No comments:

Post a Comment