Wednesday 16 September 2015

Picture perfect pelargoniums

I have spent many happy hours browsing the greenhouse advertisements in the RHS magazine The Garden.  It was an occasion for grateful thanks for our Hartley greenhouse bought at third hand from an allotment neighbour, assembled from bits and home to our indoor grapevine.  We left it up and intact, I do hope our successors are treating it well. 

Greeenhouse advertisements, to my mind, are something like the dream kitchens and conservatory spreads you find in glossy magazines.  The whole lifestyle is temptingly on view.  The premise being: instal this kitchen and all this affluence and luxury can be yours.  Alternatively  if you really desire a stout greenhouse  (as opposed to a solid oak Victorian replica) you could erect this one and hire some chaps to sit on the roof.  See, advertising does work - I have remembered the picture though not the brand name. 

As far as I am concerned I already have my ideal kitchen.  It was probably put in twenty years ago, but it has all the features I need.  Likewise I realise that I have the typical aspirational greenhouse at a fraction of a price.  Our new greenhouse is filled with the geraniums/pelargoniums that were part of our summer bedding display and are now overwintering.  Not a few of these were rescued from the remaindered shelves of the garden centre but are now getting healthy and strong.  We have the picture perfect greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment