Tuesday 12 April 2016

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Parsley: On Sunday afternoon I decided it was finally warm enough to sow parsley in the greenhouse.  Last year's curly leaved parsley was not a great success, therefore when this year's germinates it is going to the front, where it is warmer and drier.

Sage: This herb came from the college garden shop up the road, where they were selling four plants for a fiver.  I tried it in the cavity wall but it did not thrive, possibly too windy and again not enough sun.  My husband moved it to the most sheltered spot in our back garden adjacent to the greenhouse where I am glad to say it is recovering.

Rosemary: One of our 'rescue' plants from a local superstore. It is now situated in the same sunny herb patch as the sage.  It has come back with minimal brown dead bits.

Thyme: I bought two thyme plants from the college, a green one and a golden one.  The green one (lemon scented) is fine; the golden one, like the golden sage before it, is struggling in the cavity wall bed.  I have another 'rescue' thyme from the supermarket (alpines selection - somewhat surprisingly) and another green one grown from seed.  All in the same spot along with a golden oregano from the same superstore - a bargain at a pound and now flourishing. 

I look at our little square of herbs approximately two feet by two feet and remember a former customer with an ornamental fishpond surrounded by paving where thyme grew in profusion among the cracks.  This was something of what I was trying to recreate here by placing it in our low cavity wall bed.  Only the green thyme has spread out of the bed and over the wall as I hoped.

This place constantly makes me evaluate what works and what does not work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment