Thursday 6 April 2017

Rhubarb by Moonlight

Off to the store we call 'the emporium' this morning in search of veg. on yellow sticker (i.e. reduced to clear) I discovered one of their specials - forced Yorkshire rhubarb gathered by candlelight.  A twenty five percent reduction was not enough to tempt me, particularly as I had already pulled some of our own rhubarb by daylight.  Our rhubarb grows organically under the eaves of the shed, where slugs snack on it and thus requires a good wash and some removal of chewed bits.  

I noticed sadly that the store had also reduced to clear some rhubarb plants that were close to expiring, never mind the expiry date.  Promoted along with the early bedding plants these rhubarb crowns are also a seasonal feature.  If you care for rhubarb properly it lasts for years.  These had completely died back and were on offer for 60p each.  I had already bought a couple in a slightly healthier state last year.  One survived.  We have no room to rescue any more.

I also saw that kind customers have started to put provisions into the food bank collection point by the entrance.  (Not all products from the emporium, other stores do exist and have their own economy lines - I recognised the packaging). 

As the bin lorry proceeds up our street as an audible reminder of how much rubbish we generate it is my hope that in the coming seasons my county learns to better value food - how to consume it, recycle it and reward those who have produced it.

 

2 comments:

  1. It saddens me and infuriates me in equal measures the waste and the throw away society that that still dominates how we live. Excuse me while I rant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree. Keep setting a positive example!

    ReplyDelete