Saturday 12 January 2019

Four seasons in one vase

Following my Christmas post I start the New Year with a decoration that has outlasted the festive season.  Last year we did a small gardening task at church.  The rose hips we also took for free were bright globes of orange.  I had seen hips used like this in a craft fair we visited.  I had an almost identical glazed jug rescued from a collection of pots and pans put out for takers back on our old avenue. (Not a custom I have observed on this one.)  I added eucalyptus, with holly and ivy to represent autumn and winter.  Our Golden Showers rose was still blooming up to Christmas so a bud went in for summer.  Lastly I noted that the shrubs and trees on one of our January walks had received their usual 'haircut' from the flailing machine.  So I salvaged hazel catkins and willow buds which are just showing a touch of white in readiness for the spring which seems to arrive earlier each year.

My best moment was when our rosebud opened and a token of summer fragrance to come entered the place where we sit.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment