Wednesday 25 March 2020

Slow Gardening

In these times I am grateful for our garden and as long as the sunshine lasts I shall be out there practising slow gardening.  I noticed as we went on our exercise walk yesterday that people had mowed their front lawns, as my husband has out back.  Once you have cut the grass - what next?

On Monday I got out our seed box and we worked out what needed to wait until the weather warmed up.  On our windowsill under a cover we have broad beans.  These we sowed last week and they are germinating.  Every morning we look to see if another little green bump is preceding an emerging shoot.

I thought I would do salad in our salad crib.  D our neighbour very kindly passed over some more surplus plastic from his conservatory roof before this emergency started.  So under this cover have gone radish, garlic chives, lettuce Little Gem and our own rocket.  I found that I had slowed down and was taking more care.  I wore gloves.  (This is unusual for me because formerly I loved to get my hands in the soil.) I read the instructions and scattered more thinly than before (Usually I am quite quick and maybe a little over-generous with amounts.)  Then my husband watered and I covered with D's plastic.  

Into the shed to sow some old seed we were given (Aquilegia) from 2016.  This grows in our borders anyway but worth a try.  I shall not be putting it in the freezer first as our shed gets cold when the sun goes down.  

And that is it for today's tasks.  Tomorrow  I shall feed all our fruit bushes and our apple trees, again following the instructions to the letter.  And when this is over D will have the rhubarb I promised him last year, over the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment