Wednesday 16 December 2020

Dormant trees - winter pruning

 Yesterday afternoon it did not rain.  It was on with the welly boots and on to the soggy back lawn to prune the apple trees.  Before venturing out I consulted both our organic gardening reference books which gave good general advice on pruning which I will not repeat here.  

What did strike me was the instruction to remove new growth at the tips by up to a third.  I baulked at this, so for the first few minutes I walked around the Discovery removing crossing branches and branches growing so low down that last season the fruit nestled in the grass.  I then gave it quite a conservative tip prune.

Next it was the turn of Scotch Bridget.   It took five years to bear fruit and I was formerly very reluctant to touch it.  But now that I knew all was well I could afford to take off some very low branches and some tips.  Apples put on new growth in one year and form fruit buds the next year so in effect I was getting the trees ready for 2022.

As I reflected on the 'thirds' principle.  I wondered what in what other areas it might apply.

And I thought with sadness of the untended trees we 'forage' from in the fields and hedgerows around us which would respond so well to much more drastic attention than this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment