Saturday 6 April 2024

A Guide for a 'Bad' Birdwatcher

 It was my good fortune this week to find a copy of the American edition (2005, $17.95) of Simon Barnes' book How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher displayed in our local charity shopAt £1.50, in hardback, retaining its original dustjacket it was a bargain.  I think what drew me was the cheeky title and equally cheeky engraving of the little bird on the front and back.

Simon Barnes is almost a contemporary - I checked on the Internet and was relieved to find he is still alive.  He is a journalist and writes in the accessible style of the devotional or self-help guide.  I could reset that enormously loaded opening phrase 'to the greater glory of life' and then read his short pithy chapters with pleasure and profit.

The whole point of a devotional or self-help book is to move to action so I began by taking Simon's advice in chapter six.  We already have a bird book The Mitchell Beazley Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide.  This has probably been in my family since the reprint of 1986.  I picked it up and added my own name in it (in pencil) for continuity.  

Two things struck me when I read this pocket guide more carefully.  Firstly the introduction was extremely sensible and in line with Simon's advice which was not surprising as he has a longstanding connection with the RSPB.  I wonder if the very small print had previously put me off.  Secondly, and this is somewhat galling for a person with a post-graduate teaching qualification, I realised that I had not ever studied the section entitled 'How the Guide Works' or the Species List.  I had been flipping through at random trying to find the Nuthatch for example, and wondering why I landed on page 112 with the Tawny Owl.  

I am so glad that these two books have come together.  In true 'devotional' fashion I already had what I needed but needed a nudge to use it and appreciate its value.

Both will now find a place on the coffee table in our back room where we look out on our bird feeder through the patio windows.  On the floor rests a pair of binoculars but that is a post for another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment