Thursday 30 June 2011

Barrows

Barrows are practical.  Barrows are for barging up and down the plot.  Hefting, heaving, tipping, cleaning and finally putting away in the shed.  But even barrows can come to rest.

No evident post-modern irony - the straw scarecrow, the gnome made of flower pots, the notice proclaiming Welcome to my garden.  No disguises.  This is a working barrow in semi-retirement.

I sowed here before the spring drought.  Only the alyssum came up.  Never mind.  I lifted self-seeded calendulas from among the potatoes, some french marigolds came from a friend, the begonia from my husband's workplace and the cosmos from my family. 

My barrow is now static.  It has come to rest, like most things, close to the hedge, under the shade of the birch tree. 

Neighbouring marrows counterpoint yellow marigolds and the red ripening blackberries overshadow the begonia.  The cosmos garden grows from a rusting receptacle.

Rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. A feature. It may be that the other seeds did not come up due to the trees cutting out light. I planted some seeds under our trees and they do not come up.Nothing much grows under large trees becuase of light. P was just saying how some Kent country lanes are completely dark even in the day time. I have been advising on overshading and solar PV - shading really affects outputs. Solar light is the thing that rouses the seed....I notice it throughout our garden.

    ReplyDelete