Friday 10 June 2011

Bumblebees, Breezes and BMWs

A poem I once knew as a child, but cannot recall in detail celebrates the flight of the bumblebee.  Music and poetry pay tribute to the energy and ingenuity of these aerodynamic little wonders.  I love them.  I see them buzzing around the mauve and purple bells of our comfrey plant - all shapes, all sizes- busily being what they were made to be: beneficial bees. 

Sadly although bumblebees can land on and take off from nectar bearing blossoms with the precision of a plane homing in on the flight deck, there is one air current that they cannot navigate; the downdraft from the soft-tops that consider our little hill (gradient 1:10)  as an extension of Le Mans.  I notice the bees.  Slammed on to the pavement upended and undignifiedly waving their legs. I bend down and assist them into the prickly shelter of the pyrecantha bushes behind the cemetery railings.  They take a little time to reorientate themselves to being right way up, wings smoothed down and in place, all legs working. 

I rescue them for practical reasons - they are pollinators.  Also, I cannot bear to see them upside down. 

Next time you hear Rimsky-Korsakov's popular classic remember the BMWs and think of the plight of the bumblebee.

No comments:

Post a Comment