Wednesday 8 February 2012

Cold snaps

Cold snaps the switches on our fruit trees.  Without this frosted blanket of snow they would not blossom and bear fruit.  However much I sigh for the spring and long for the blossom, this period of dormancy is vital and necessary.  There will be plenty of time, I tell myself.  They are pruned (lightly) and mulched with good compost.  They are waiting for the warm winds from across the sea to blow on them.

Some verses from Psalm 147:16-18

He gives snow like wool;
he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
He casts forth his ice like morsels;
who can stand before his cold?
He sends forth his word and melts them;
he makes his wind blow, and the waters flow.

And a prayer. 

Lord, help me to see that the wintry days are as necessary to my trees as the warmth of spring.  Send out your word and your wind at the right season.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment