Wednesday 15 February 2012

Plastic

We are continuing to tidy up the allotments.  The skip has gone and so has the rubbish which overflowed its sides.  The next task was to push into undergrowth by the side of a communal path to clear bags, bottles, sweet papers and other garish pieces of litter blown on to the site.

Plastic stands out against soil and branches.  Plastic tangles in briars and blackthorn trees.  Plastic bottles, plastic netting, plastic bags.  The bright colours say buy me, eat me, drink me and throw me away.  But let's not become too judgemental - my sturdy blue plastic jacket protects me from the thorns that rasp on my sleeves as I go backwards into the bushes to protect my eyes.

Two robins fly down to see what I have unearthed during my litter pick.  They are cleaning up after me, heads cocked, on the look out for bugs and beasties.  See them, eat them and fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment