Wednesday 4 April 2012

Lettuce rejoice

My winter lettuce are thriving and I am so glad.  I sowed them late last year in our cold greenhouse, along with rocket - which came up like a rocket, was consumed, bloomed and has been taken up.  I pick the odd slug and snail off these little winter gems but on the whole they are hearty and green.

When I think of the cost of fresh salad leaves in the shops I rejoice.  It was worth all the fiddly business of thinning out, picking out weeds that lay dormant in the home grown compost and watering at the end of hot days when the temperatures rose so high that the indoor grapevine began to put on its early leaves.

After these we shall have lollo rosso and then the tomatoes that are germinating in pots on the floor of our lounge and then chilli peppers perhaps.  The key is successional sowing.  No gluts, I hope, but a steady supply of seasonal produce throughout the growing season.  Leave it to others to try exotics - pineapples in hot pits -  lettuce will do me fine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - that is inspiring. Slugs were already putting me off grwogin own salad but if you eat them then OK. I have already decided to start a growing bed in the sun just for salad and strawberries and not grow anything else. I tried tomatoes last year but they were too small - and I dont eat them.

    ReplyDelete