Wednesday 22 May 2013

Leggy Broccoli

My broccoli seedlings became leggy.  The technical term is 'etiolated'.  The shading (old trampoline netting) intended to preserve tender plants from fierce sunshine worked well.  However, the broccoli, starved of light became pale and spindly.  Their true leaves were slow to appear.   I planted them out this week.  This was a risk.  Pests find weak plants. 

I sank my broccoli deep into their planting holes, firmed them in and propped them up as best I could, finally netting them against the pigeons. 

Meanwhile, our runner beans and borlotti beans are still awaiting the right moment.  Late frosts could strike and destroy them all.   This is the judgement we have to make - keep things inside too long and they suffer; plant them out too soon and they wilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment