Friday 31 May 2013

The position of snails

On Thursday we planted out our runner beans and french beans and it was with great reluctance that I surrounded these tender plants with slug pellets.  Why oh, why, can't snails stay in the wildlife hedge?  The hedge is a shady place with lots of composting vegetation which snails are attracted to (I have noted many feeding on decomposing grass cuttings).  Other food is varied and arrives at regular intervals.  There you are - wilting vine trimmings from the indoor grapevine (growing at terrific speed in the warm, damp conditions), dandelions, other perennial and annual weeds, salad thinnings that even I don't feel like retrieving.  All the choice you could wish. 

So molluscs, please, don't try it.  If I find you in my greenhouse you will be ejected straight back into the hedge.  If you find our beans - it's death.  I am truly sorry, snails.

No comments:

Post a Comment