Wednesday 23 October 2013

Overwintering

Today a customer phoned to say that her back lawn was waterlogged.  So, we did what we customarily do under these circumstances; went down to the plot.

We worked on a raised bed and sowed a packet of early broad beans in two double rows to overwinter.  My husband occupied himself tidying the small greenhouse where I had transplanted some rocket the previous day.  It should keep going under glass until the spring.  I weeded the Japanese onions we are growing from seed.  Progress is slow.  They ressemble very small spring onions.  But our leeks, sown in March and intended for Christmas dinner are doing well.

I returned after lunch intending to do just one job - remove the last of the runner beans and mulch the bed.  However I was offered some winter cabbage seedlings by J, an older neighbour.  A dozen cabbages have duly gone in next to a row of winter salad that is still flourishing.

'I expect things are slowing down now', say well-meaning friends.  Yes and no.  We can usually find something constructive to do.  We are over-wintering.

No comments:

Post a Comment