Thursday 31 October 2013

Super soup

Earlier this week I was peeling knobbly Jerusalem Artichokes (Helianthus tuberosus) for a hearty soup.  I combined them with brown lentils, chicken stock and other seasonal ingredients such as parsnips (not quite ready but I could not resist unearthing one) and curly kale, that tough and enduring stand-by of the kitchen garden.  Whizzed up afterwards in a blender the soup is green, thick and comforting. 

It struck me for the first time, although I am sure it is obvious to most readers, that good cooks combine foodstuffs that complement each other.  The root vegetables in my soup such as parsnips, artichokes and carrots go so well with the kale.  They only need a little grated raw ginger, turmeric, garam masala and cumin to add that extra something. 

Now I am learning to sup my soup slowly, and allow the full flavour to reach my palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment