Monday 4 November 2013

Nessel Netel Nettle Ortie Urtica dioica

A friend has given us a packet of herbal tea-bags.   Whilst waiting for my infusion to brew I enjoyed reading the packet and noting relationships between the languages of Western Europe.  (Please excuse me, readers of Polish and Russian - yours are on the box too). 

In order the names in my heading read - German, Dutch, English and Norwegian, French and the Latin botanical name for the stinging nettle.  My husband reminded me of the last one.  I was puzzled as to the origin of Ortie. When you know the Latin it is obvious.

Meanwhile on the plot, my nettles in the wildlife hedge which I cut back earlier in the year are still growing strong.  I could make my own herbal tea, I suppose, but at the back of my mind is the advice of the children's television presenters of my youth 'Don't try this at home, boys and girls'.  So, for the moment, I will stick to mint (Mentha spicata and Mentha piperita) - Spearmint and Peppermint.

No comments:

Post a Comment