Thursday 23 January 2014

The Constant Gardener

I have found that persevering on the allotments, whatever the conditions is a test of constancy and good intent.  John Bunyan, who found his way through plenty of muddy sloughs, believed that faith triumphs over that fatal affliction for gardeners, discouragement:

Come wind, come weather.  I experienced both today.  It rained at the onset.  Then the rain eventually stopped.  I barrowed out two loads of manure along muddy paths in the downpours and one in the sunny period that followed.

Who so beset him round with dismal stories.  Snow, it was predicted in 2013, would blanket Britain at midwinter.  Autumnal red berries abounded and country folk who reputedly know about these things posted warnings.  Some of our neighbours read these and kindly informed me.  The snow has yet to fall. 

Then fancies fly away.  I could easily imagine the worst, but in hope I carry on.  I uprooted a bed of broccoli that had come to the end of its productive life and culled more greens for tonight's supper.  The whiteflies, deprived of shelter and sustenance fluttered feebly away. 



  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment