Monday 13 January 2014

Turf Stacks

Last week M wondered why our grassy paths on one allotment were so wide and suggested we could grow more stuff with bigger beds.  A good point.  So I showed her how enlarge a bed by cutting turves, shook off as much loose soil as possible, then piled them upside down and made a turf stack.  Initially this was an informal arrangement in one of the hedges, but today I continued the task after my husband had reassembled the pallets for the winter squash area.

{An added incentive for this was the little box of squash seeds my sister had saved and sent after our new year visit.  When I successfully download from my mobile phone to the computer I will post a picture.}

Today therefore I began a vegetative sandwich in the squash bed with turves at the bottom, compost from the communal heap and then another layer of turves.  The grass will decompose over time. 

When M eventually gets her own allotment, as we pray she will, it is probable she will have to start clearing it from scratch.  As she cuts out her new growing areas, the turves ought to form her first turf stack.  The enlargement we have started now is the first practical step towards this.

No comments:

Post a Comment