Monday 25 June 2018

Five Culinary Herbs

We were invited out to supper last week and along with a soft drink I took a bunch of our flowers, some home-grown salad leaves and a selection of our culinary herbs  The flowers were well received; the scent of the Sweet Williams was lovely.  (The soft drink, unopened, came home with us).

I asked myself afterwards if our herbs would have won any prizes at the horticultural society where we used to exhibit.  Here are my notes.

Golden Oregano - yes, probably second prize.  A profuse herb grown in full sun.  Not flowering yet.  We offered a flowering herb one year and the Secretary took the flowers off (this is the rule).

Sage - No.  Originally grown in full sun but now partially shaded by a large broom tree from my family.  Suffered in the cold and snowfall of this winter but now recovering.

Rosemary - I did not offer this.  A 'rescue plant' also growing in the shade of the broom tree.

Fennel - sown in the wrong place.  When will I ever learn that to infill herbs in a bed of veg. such as Broad Beans just does not work?

Basil - grown from seed by my husband very successfully.  I cut the tops off so would not have been able to exhibit it in this condition.

Parsley - another success for the seed mat method.  Strong and green.

Variegated Mint - came up again.  Another survivor of the heavy snow.  Now growing happily in a circular bed with fertile soil.

So on balance, I think we would have scraped a third prize.  However given my knowledge of the keen entrants of shows past; we might have barely achieved a 'commended'.

I'm glad I don't compete any more

 

No comments:

Post a Comment