Friday 29 June 2018

Houseplants

People sometimes express surprise when I inform them that I am not a houseplant person.  Our houseplants, examples given below, fall into the 'hard to kill' category.  Dr Hessian, author of The House Plant Expert advises, 'If all else fails grow Sansevieria.' We have two plants on either side of the fireplace which my husband acquired on a teaching assignment in north east London.  Apparently these can flower in ideal conditions - not the case in our household.

A recent addition is Strelitzia (whose common name is Bird of Paradise) which Dr Hessian notes is 'surprisingly easy to grow'.  This was the result of a repotting exercise for my family which resulted in one plant each.  I am pleased to say it is now putting out a new furled leaf.  I may have to wait some time - four to six years - before it blooms.

My third is a Christmas cactus which I have just learned from the book should be placed in a shady spot outdoors to allow the stems to harden during the summer.  I am popping outside to do this very thing as soon as I finish this post.  Thankfully keeping this plant cool in our flat roofed extension later in the autumn will not be difficult.  This plant has also grown well since it arrived with a friend who propagated it for us.

I do not cherish houseplants.  I leave them for weeks on end.  But when they do put out new leaves like the first rosy tips of the Christmas cactus I am happy.  Now all that remains to be seen is whether it will live up to its description as a 'shy bloomer' or thrive in restful summer shade on the side of our pantry.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment