Thursday 30 August 2012

Facing ivy in league

I spent yesterday working alongside my husband - I like to be there, I enjoy it when people call us in to tackle their gardens.  He puts nice stripes on their lawns (weather permitting) and I tackle the bushes.  Yesterday it was the turn of ivies, morning and afternoon.

Ivy grows up and over from the neighbours' house and pulls down trellises with its suckers.  Ivy spreads like a horizontal tree, ends up vertical and then fruits.  Ivy creeps under boundaries and along the ground.

I tackle ivy methodically.  First I cut off everything in front of my face.  Then it's on to the hard bit. Those long dangling portions are disposed of and now I see the structure, the trunk, which can be as thick as my wrist.  Out with the heavy duty pruners and take it down section by section, tearing off ivy from the fence as I go.  The brown bin is full and I've only tackled two panels.  The customer and her neighbour will have to consult.  I've exposed the situation and made a start.

I pack up and go.  The spiders and snails I dislodged are finding a new home.  I'm off to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment