Friday 24 August 2012

Mornings

Yesterday was quiet.  I got to the allotment earlier than usual, before my neighbour opened up his shed, started strimming or turned on the radio.  Before the children in the house behind the plot came out and started bouncing on their trampoline.  Before the man with the grinder in the alley opposite started on his DIY.  It felt very peaceful.  I did not feel I was on the allotment at all.  I was on holiday. 

Long ago when I used to go walking I would feel like this at the beginning of a day in the Austrian Alps.  The air was fresh, we had breakfasted, put on our boots and were ready to climb the waymarked paths.  Around us were alpine flowers.  The breeze carried the sound of distant cowbells.  It was a sublime experience.

I don't have to get into one of the circling planes I see flying overhead and go abroad.  I have it all here - flowers, clouds, dewy grass and the morning ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment