Thursday 5 September 2013

A Vintage Year

It has been a good season, to date, for our vines.  The outside grapes (for eating and juicing) are turning from green to pink to red; the inside (green grapes) are slower to ripen and provide a lesson in patience.

Most days I go to our larger greenhouse and sample a grape.  It looks soft, sweet and juicy but is bitter.  If I were a real connoiseur, a wine buff for example, I would be able to describe the precise gradations of bitterness, how each sour bunch is slowly sweetening day by day until perfect ripeness is attained.  As it is, I pick a grape and grimace.

There is one visual indicator, however, which I had forgotten.  I should not be sampling the grapes but examining the stem.  When they are ready it will turn from green to a more brittle brown.  As soon as this happens it is time to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment