Thursday 12 September 2013

Comfort me with apples ....

Our venerable customer, G, has recently sent my husband home with a haul of red Discovery apples.  It took me back to my first year at college, forty years ago.  Ours had extensive grounds and an orchard.  You could buy a big bag of apples from the groundsman's shed.  I used to steadily munch my way through these, cores and all while writing essays.  My family still joke about this habit.

Some time has elapsed from the early seventies to our present era, but some things remain the same.  I still love apples, although I cannot devour them as I once did.  But, taken in moderation, they sustain me as I garden while not raising my glucose levels beyond the recommended parameters.

I am still writing, although I marvel now at how I achieved any form of literary criticism. 

Many people will be returning to Cambridge for the alumnae weekend.  My thoughts are with them.  I remember those who supervised my work with gratitude.

If you are interested in attributions you will find my heading in the Song of Solomon, Chapter Two.  Read the original before the you consult the critics was the rule.  I believe that still holds good.


No comments:

Post a Comment