Friday 27 September 2013

Pears + Pectin - Puzzle Solved

It was puzzling.  My second batch of jam reached 220 degrees.  I believed the evidence of the sugar thermometer and poured it into the warmed jars.  But it seemed runny.  Deep down I should have known.  Later I found that my husband had put the jam in the fridge to help it along.  This was not a good sign.  The jam should have set rapidly as it cooled in the jars; instead after a day or so it was still a pleasant pear and ginger sauce. 

I nearly left it there.  I gave a jar to a friend.  I left the others in the fridge.  I talked to my sister and observed that we all put some things down to experience.  She told me to buy pectin and boil it up again.  Pears are lower in pectin than blackberries.  I should have remembered this.  That is why jam sugar (not the sugar I used last time) contains the phrase 'with added pectin'.

I added a sachet of pectin and brought the jam to setting point.  It set.  My sister will be amused when she reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment