Monday 2 September 2013

Stepping over the apple trees

I am full of admiration for gardeners who are able to grow apples on by the cordon or espalier method.  In my defence I would say:

- I prefer my trees to grow according to their natural bush shapes
- I have difficulty visualising diagrams where 'x marks the spot'

However what I was unwilling to attempt the ants have done for me.  It is unfortunate that we failed to spot the anthill under our Bramley much earlier.  Because of their nest-building proclivities our tree is now leaning, lopsided, close to the angle at which professionals train their espaliers. Our apples are almost touching the ground.

I shall prune my trees, in December or January as recommended.  I shall try my best to be decisive and take out as many branches as necessary.

Bramleys are not a suitable variety for the espalier treatment.  However, in the spirit of live and let live I shall leave the ants alone and enjoy our oblique-angled tree.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment